Sunday, May 9, 2010

A Tribute To A Praying Mother





A Tribute To A Praying Mother

53




How many lives has your Mother given you!
How many lives has your Mother given you!








A Tribute to a Praying Mother

It was the summer of 1964, and the Vietnam war film was just being seen for the first time on television. I often played with a friend that was 8 years old in my North Georgia mountain hometown of Dahlonega, Georgia. I had gone into her house that day searching for her, but she was not there that day. I found her Mother pacing the floor praying as I got a glimpse of the film shots of dead men on the ground without legs and arms.
My Grandmother was a woman that prayed every night after her bible reading, but I had never heard praying like was coming from the voice of this woman. She fell prostrate on the floor and with a loud pleading voice for her son who was a sergeant on a Vietnam battlefield. I will never forget the urgency of her prayer as she began to speak to the Lord, "I ask you Lord to spare my son. I'm not asking you to send him home to me whole at this point, but he is a first fruit of my womb and I ask you to just spare his life. I praise you Lord for the day that you gave him to me and I now put him in your hands and I trust you that my heart will be spared of losing my son to the enemy. I come before you humble and weeping without strength and ask you to go before me in this battle for my son's life."
I froze as I listened to the most heartfelt prayer of my young life, and suddenly this Mother began speaking in a language I had never heard. I slipped out the front door to leave this prayer of just a few moments but the impact of it has never left me. It affected me and influenced me and became recessed in my mind until I began my prayer life and became a prayer intercessor. She taught me more about the power of intercessory prayer than any preacher ever has.
I was sitting a barber shop in Dahlonega 5 years ago with my son and I heard the barber call out a customer's name sitting waiting, "Well how are you, Joe Patterson?" Joe Patterson, my mind raced and I realized it was the son that this woman was praying for that day so long ago. I got up and went and sat down beside him.
"You are Debbie Patterson's (my little friend's) brother aren't you.?'' "Yes," he said curious as to who I was.
I have a story I would like to tell you about your Mother when I was six years old. When I finished telling him he began to weep. I told him to take care of his Mother because she had given him life twice. He said, she still was a praying woman and was 75 years old, and he took her to lunch twice a week, and had bought her a house after coming home from Vietnam. He not only came back alive, but he came back whole. He became an antique broker and was a wealthy man. I was not surprised to hear that because I remember his little sister showing me his collectibles when I was little.
We played with his jar of silver dollars. He had grown up poor in North Georgia and he remembered how he used to go to the boy scouts at the Salvation Army with tattered tennis shoes with his uniform. He had contributed a significant amount of money to poor children in education benefits and several church buses for small churches. In high school I recall his sister was one of the most well dressed in the school. She became a model and work for an ad agency in Atlanta. I never knew it was him that had made her life better.
Praying Mothers do make a difference in their children's lives. If you have a praying Mother you have been blessed beyond measure for they stand in the gap for blessings that you may not have deserved but because of their covenant with the one on the throne you are blessed too.









I

No comments:

Post a Comment